Accessible to students and teachers during the day at school, these also can be used from home or any computer with internet access.
This popular, dynamic program is in use at all GCPS elementary and middle schools and the 9th grade at GHS. Accelerated Reader offers students the option to read above or below his/her grade level so that they can achieve success in their reading program. Here's how it works.
Students select books appropriate to his/her reading level.
Later he/she takes a content/comprehension quiz for which points are awarded.
Each school has its own "recognition" program. Reading is Fun Image
Have questions? Check with your school's Library Media Specialist.
Common Sense Media provides trustworthy information in a world of media and technology; covering such topics as:
- Digital Learning
- 21st Century Skills
- Research & Information Literacy
- The American Library Association has created a wonderful resource with links for librarians, parents, and students.
- American Association of School Librarians (a division of ALA)
- Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything is a famous and incredibly complete site. Check it out!
Students at all Gloucester County Public schools may take any designated AR book quiz
even if the book isn't actually part of that library's current collection.
AR quiz titles are so numerous (& increasing @ a rate of 200 per week) that a complete list can't be published here. Use the online AR Bookfinder to search for quizzes by author, readability level, point value, and topic.
Elementary School Library/Media Specialists
Abingdon Elementary Michelle Davis 804-642-9799
Achilles Elementary Jaime Abbondanzo 804-642-9254
Bethel Elementary Kim Hogge 804-693-0928
Botetourt Elementary Renee Bains 804-693-1420
Petsworth Elementary Patricia Flanary 804-693-1242
Secondary Schools Library/Media Specialists
Please use and enjoy...
Available only from school.
Virginia's premier statewide digital media distribution system featuring the best "purpose-built" educational content available.
Brought to you by the Virginia Public Media Stations and PBS.
Web access to Accelerated Reader Quizzes---from school only!
Explore Free Online Resources from Your Local Virginia Public Library
Google Book Search
Search the latest index of books and find great books you can preview and read for free.
Gloucester County Schools provides a number of web-based research and reference resources for student, teacher, staff, parent, and community use. Accessible to students and teachers during the day at school, these also can be used from home --or any computer with Internet access. Please check with your school's media specialist for usernames-passwords and/or assistance.
Essential Books for Kids and Teens from Common Sense Media
- National Geographic Education
- ArtsEdge -- The Kennedy Center
- EconEdLink -- Economics and Finance
- Illuminations -- Mathematics -- NCTM
- EdSITEment -- National Endowment for the Humanities
- ReadWriteThink -- International Reading Association and NCTE
- ScienceNetLinks -- AAAS
- Wonderopolis -- National Center for Family Literacy
- Smithsonian's History Explorer -- American History