Early Childhood Education
GCPS Offers Two Early Childhood Preschool Programs:
• Each IPOP classroom capacity is twelve (12) children: up to eight identified eligible (ages 3-4), and up to four typically-developing peers
• IPOP classrooms are located at Abingdon, Bethel, and Botetourt schools
• The program for 3-4 year-olds is Monday-Thursday, with Fridays reserved for in-home services
• VPI is a state-funded preschool program for a limited number of resident four-year-old children who meet one or more at-risk/eligibility requirements defined by the General Assembly and Gloucester County Public Schools, and who are not served by the Bridges Head Start Program of Gloucester
• School transportation may be provided (to the extent that [a] resources are available; [b] the location of a child's permanent residence permits; [c] other eligibility criteria apply)
• At or below 200% of federal poverty level (FPL)
• Family income is above 200% of FPL, but at or below 350% of FPL for children with special needs or disabilities as defined by state and federal regulations.
See Program Guide below for requirements regarding income verification. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis and must include all required residency and financial documentation before they will be considered for eligibility. If a school-site location has reached its capacity, a wait-list may be established.
Updated Program Guide and Application for the 2019-2020 school year will be available in April 2019. VPI is dependent upon Federal Income criteria released by the Department of Health and Human Services (https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines) and regulations established by the General Assembly. Adjustments for the 2019-2020 school year will be released when this information is finalized.